Bothwell Castle sits atop a bend in the River Clyde. In its prime the castle served as a strategic post for crossing the Clyde and as such it was seen as a prize during the Scottish Wars of Independence. During the wars it was seized by English forces only to be later liberated by Scottish armies. The cycle continued until Sir Andrew Murray, the rightful owner Bothwell, slighted the castle so that it could never again be reoccupied.
The castle is open for visitors and is managed by Historic Environment Scotland.
Culzean Castle overlooks the Firth of Clyde and was the home of Clan Kennedy. In 1945 the castle and its grounds were given to the National Trust for Scotland with a condition; the apartment at the top of the castle be given to General Dwight D. Eisenhower (who would later go on to be President of the United States).
The castle is rumoured to be haunted by seven ghosts.
Doune Castle was originally built in the thirteenth century and was severely damaged during the Scottish Wars of Independence. Despite its history, most people know this stronghold for his fictitious history.
In the pilot episode of Game of Thrones, Doune Castle served as the courtyard of Winterfell and it is here that King Robert Baratheon greeted the Stark family before returning south. Production of the series was then moved to Belfast, Northern Ireland.
The castle is also known as Castle Leoch in Outlander and has also been featured in Outlaw King and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It is now a tourist attraction under the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
Edinburgh Castle is Scotland's best known castle! It is believed to have been built on top of a volcanic plug in the twelfth century however evidence suggests earlier habitation of the rock dating as far back as the second century.
Historical research shows that Edinburgh Castle came under siege at least 26 times making it the most attacked location in the world.
It is now a tourist attraction under the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
These buildings are all dilapidated now but in the era of the Second World War this was home to a series of anti-aircraft guns. The guns were strategically placed here at the edge of Lanarkshire and Glasgow to defend the Clyde Estuary from assault. Despite being formally decommissioned in the 1950's there is evidence of use (and even additional buildings) suggesting the site was actually in operation late into the 1960's, possibly during the cold war.